End of An Era

Hanging Up My Jersey
Destanie Jefferson-Lee
Photo Credit: Shonda Jefferson 




“On three, Lady phoenix, On Six, Family, on nine, SENIORS!”

You never really expect the emotions to hit you as hard when the night that is specifically dedicated to you finally comes.

I’ve been playing volleyball for 5 years for University. It sounds a little crazy, but I started my eighth grade year when I wasn’t supposed to. (Shhhh, don’t tell anyone.)  I’ve had some of my worst days on this team. From having a concussion, hints of favoritism, feeling like I wasn’t good enough to quitting and leaving my jersey right on the floor. In spite of it all, I always came back to my team. I always came back to the love of my life.

My senior night was emotional! I picked on all my other teammates telling them they were going to cry, they were punks, but as soon as Coach Wilson said, ¨#2, Destanie Jefferson-Lee¨, I balled my eyes out walking up to get my signed ball and my personal picture.

My parents came late, so it brought me from happy crying to mad because I reminded them everyday that tonight was special for me. A lot of people who are close to me couldn even make it, even my sister who played volleyball here too and is now in college. I was already upset, but when my mom came up and made her speech giving me my plaque with all my volleyball pictures, made me forget how late she was.

We played against Timothy Christian. They aren't on our level, so we played just to have fun with each other on the court and thatś exactly what happened. We had fun and at the end of the game, I just reminisced on my first time ever playing to now. I thought about how much I have grown as a player, and the bond I built with them, all the memories. We’ve always had each otherś back.

Divided we fall, together we stand.

Sometimes I can’t believe it is my last year. All of the emotions of that night stayed with me. I still can't believe this is my last year with my team. All four years you wish for the time to hurry up and come but now, I just wish for one more year just to play with my team.

Comments

  1. This is exactly how I will feel competing for the last time with my Allstar team. I’ve dedicated the 3 years of my life to allstar cheering and 6 years plus, cheering for many other teams. Pop Warner, High School, and Speing League teams. I will be so heartbroken lol yet, I know for you and I both, the years of dedication and love to our sport, it hurts like heck, ending it all out Senior year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put together article. I can definitely feel your energy from reading this. Congrats on your senior night. -Emanni Jenkins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, I’m so happy for you, I love how you put the article together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an excellent article. I felt the emotion while reading, Conrats and have a great senior year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww so emotional lol but this is a great article & congratulations hard work pays off

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well written article, can really feel the emotions. Also congratulations and I wish u well in the coming years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment