Alumni Spotlight: Faith Evans


Think BIG
An Exclusive Interview With Alumna Faith Evans

By Devon Christopher Corry
Photo: Johnathan Mannion

When I was notified that I would be given the opportunity to interview THE Faith Evans, I couldn't believe it! I stared at my phone for a good ten minutes before I even replied "YES" to the email. First of all, I'm a sophomore. I just knew Ms. Jones, the Journalism teacher was going to give this once in a lifetime opportunity to a senior-- but she didn't. She chose me. So, after the initial shock and excitement wore off, I was humbled. Then, the panic set in: what do you say to a person who is not just a regular alumni but a celebrity? Faith Evans is a Grammy Award winning singer. She's Hip Hop Royalty, the R&B Diva herself... What do I say to her?

I decided that getting a glimpse of what Faith was like before the world was introduced to her was a great place to start. Who was the girl prior to dropping her debut single, "You Used to Love Me" featuring Biggie Smalls in 1995? So I figured, the answers to some of those questions would be the most meaningful use of our time. Besides, Faith and I have something in common. We're both a part of the Phoenix Family. So, I'm not going to talk to her about things that everyone already knows. You know, like how she's the widow of the late great King of Hip Hop, B.I.G. Or how she's an eight time Grammy nominated artist. Nor will I talk about how Faith's longtime association with Sean "P. Diddy" Combs and Bad Boy Entertainment have made her name one to remember. You can Google all of that.

What I will do in this Phoenix Flame exclusive interview, is shed some light on how University High School played a role in her life when Faith was just a girl from Brick City who attended this school just like us.

What did you do right after graduating from University High School?
"After graduating from University High, I received an academic scholarship and attended Fordham University."

What impact if any did UHS have on your success as an artist?
"It was during years at UHS, that I was able to expand my music knowledge beyond the songs that were part of my upbringing. I was introduced to classical, jazz, and many other forms of music that would later allow me to become a vocalist, who is able to tackle a host of genres."

What is your fondest memory from your days at University?
"I was apart of a UHS Jazz Ensemble. This  and the friends I met, the shows we performed, the time spent with them honing my craft -- having the opportunity to express myself creatively in a different space ALWAYS warms my heart."

What advice would you give to current University students?
"High school is the time to explore and discover new things. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, and meet new and different types of people who fuel your passion for life and who help expand your concept of purpose!! Take this time to develop a work ethic that will follow you beyond your years of high school and enhance the path you want to travel. THINK BIG, because your potential is limitless! There is no ceiling to greatness!!!"

It was such an honor to have had this opportunity to get to know Faith Evans. 

Now Faith, don't forget, whenever your schedule allows we would LOVE to have you visit us. It's been way too long since you've been in this building. 

My Phoenix fam, it is my hope that Faith's wise words, will resonate with each of us on our quest to be great. 

Faith's latest R&B album "The King and I" , a collaboration with the late great B.I.G. is available any where you stream or buy music.On that note, this has been your exclusive scoop -- brought to you by Devon Christopher Corry. It all happens here at The Phoenix Flame.
Photo: Google


Comments

  1. Great article, especially the wording when speaking to a celebrity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Karin! It was an amazing experience for me. No doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article.... Its good to know where she began her music

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's dope I didn't even know Faith Evans went to University.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment