Alumni Spotlight: Safanya Searcy


You want IT ? Work for IT!
by, Shamonique At-Water 

It is with great honor and privilege that I bring this you this interview with esteemed alumni Ms. Safanya N. Searcy. Since Ms. Searcy's time here at University she has gone on to do remarkable things. She is very active in the City of Newark, appointed by Mayor Ras. Baraka, a Member of the Board of Trustees at Essex County College, appointed by Essex County Executive Joseph DiVincenzo, and her job title stands as a Political Capacity Coordinator in the National Political Department of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU). This sounds like a lot but what it boils down to is that Ms. Searcy moves in the circles with people that can and do affect change in our community.

Before she began on this journey of political success, she started right here at University High School. Where while in high school she was affectionately known as "Little Hillary Clinton." Ms. Searcy enjoyed her time at University and values her most fondest moments here because it is what she feels lead her to her current success.  This really inspires students like me to be and do better.

Ms. Searcy is currently a student at The New School in New York City, pursuing a Bachelors of Science in Politics and Labor. Her education journey took several turns immediately after graduating from high school largely due to affordability of the cost of my education. It was a issue that had a detrimental impact on her life. However, the issue of college affordability positioned her to increase her activism and fight for issues of college affordability, including rallies against Sallie Mae and Navient for their unnecessarily aggressive student loan collection practices, and free education at community colleges.

Even though Ms. Searcy didn't attend college right out of high school I still thought felt it necessary to ask her if she thought UHS adequately prepared her for college. Ms. Search said the following: 

"University High School was exceptional instrumental in preparing me for both my career in politics. When I used to walk the halls of University, I earned the nickname “little Hillary Clinton” from many of the students because I had the tremendous fortune of working at the United States Attorney’s Office during my junior and senior years. The handwriting of my interest and pursuit of a career in politics was on the wall even back then."

Shortly after graduating from high school in 1999, she began my full-time career in the public sector, and served on the federal, state and county levels of government from 1997-2010. In the fall of 2010, she decided she wanted to try something different professionally that would allow me to pursue my passion for empowering people to take ownership of issues that impact their quality of life. As a result, Ms. Searcy applied for a labor organizing apprenticing with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), one of the largest labor union in the United States and Canada representing 2 million members in healthcare, property services and the public sector. She worked her way through the ranks serving in several positions throughout the union.

Ms. Searcy also worked on several electoral campaigns including the gubernatorial campaign for former NJ Governor Jon Corzine, NJ US Senate races of the late Frank Lautenberg and Senator Robert Menendez, Massachusetts US Senate races of Senators Elizabeth Warren & Ed Markey, coupled with a plethora of school board, municipal council, county freeholder, state senate and assembly campaigns throughout the United States.

She asserts that there was no way that she could've done any of the remarkable things she's accomplished  without God & the preparation she received from University High School. The teachers, faculty and staff was invested in the success of each and every student, and the scope of their investment extended beyond the classroom and into the shaping of our individual personalities and values.

SInce Ms. Searcy feels that her time here at University was key to her success I asked her if she had any words of wisdom to pass along to current students. She said, "The advice I would give to current student is be open to discovering yourself and don’t be afraid to push past what is comfortable and familiar to you. Life is truly an adventure that is filled with twists, turns & curve balls, all of which are necessary for you to fulfill your life’s purpose & destiny. Embrace change & figure out where you fit in the space of change. Remember that each day has the capacity to be better than the day before, and never, even be afraid to own your truth. 

Since Ms. Searcy had such great things to say about UHS I asked her to share her fondest memory of University High she had this to say:

"My fondest memory at university is actually super funny! I used to sing for a number of school-wide events, and one day I was asked to sing the National Anthem at the pep rally. I started off absolutely fantastic, and many of my friends were like “you better sing girl!” Well, when I got to the part where I was supposed to sing “and the rockets’ red glare”, I completely forgot the words and made something up that was clearly not the right words. Everyone in the gym proceeded to laugh, including me! It was so funny it actually made our high school yearbook! But I ended the song very well and received a resounding applause!"
If you had to do high school all over again, what would you do differently?

"If I had to do high school all over again, I would be more deliberate in structuring my coursework, extra curricular activities & my after school job better. I felt like I was a little all over the place back then, having a being better structure would have helped me achieve more."

What did you most look forward to doing at school?

"I looked forward to music class the and singing in the choirs & music groups. I also looked forward to Lincoln-Douglas & Speech Debate practices & competitions."



Ms. Searcy and Senator Hillary Clinton during her 2016 Presidential Campaign


Ms. Searcy with the Governor of New Jersey Phil Murphy 


I would like to truly thank Ms. Searcy for being open and honest. As Ms. Searcy said, “Remember that each day has the capacity to be better than the day before, and never, even be afraid to own your truth.” I strongly urge any student that reads this to take Ms. Searcy's words into consideration and make your time in high school count, make EVERY DAY count, and do something productive EVERY DAY. 

Comments

  1. Is good that one of our is helping and giving back to our community , great opening

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment