Sports Feature: Girls Basketball Player, Dominique Joseph



A Basketball Story

By: Dominique Joseph





Since this is my last year playing high school ball I wanted to take a minute and look back ...

In middle school, I was always the best player on my team. When I came to highschool, I was so confident that I would still be. On the first day of practice, I saw that there were girls who were better and far more experienced than I was.

I spent most of my freshman season on the bench which really discouraged me and made me feel like I was less of a player. I used to go extra hard in practice just to prove my point which I never got across, it was like the coaches were looking over me.

Sophomore year, I took time away from basketball to just focus on myself and gain a better mindset. Of course hearing how good the team was doing made me wish I played, but I had more important things to worry about. My grades increased tremendously and I was at my highest point in life.

The summer going into my junior year, I met the new coaching staff and my new teammates. We spent most of that summer together going to camps and playing in summer leagues which really made us grow closer to each other, I knew that this would be a great season. When the actual season started, I gained a starting position and I was so excited and anxious to play.

We went on a 9-game winning streak until we faced our rivals, Newark Tech. I hit a 3-point shot that forced us into over-time. Unfortunately, we were defeated. I couldn’t let this loss bring me down though-- it was a wake up call. 

I continued to struggle trying to prove myself and I carried a lot of doubt. I started to feel like I just wasn’t good enough and basketball just wasn’t my thing. Luckily, I had teammates who brought me up when I got down on myself and always reminded me that I was needed.
That season we went on to win a sectional championship against Secaucus High School ,which brought excitement to our team and the entire school. For the first time in my life, I felt like a winner and I was overwhelmed with joy.

We had an even bigger game ahead of us, the Group 1 State Championship, against Bound Brook. We went on to lose that game. Man we were distraught -- an even bigger wake up call.
Now, it's senior year.  I had competition so the only thing on my mind was to go harder than last year.  I started for the first 4 games and after that, I didn’t start anymore.

Getting my starting spot taken from me not only made me feel that I had to change something, but brought my self esteem back down. This made me feel so bad about myself and was the worst thing ever. 

But maybe this is what is best for the team. I am not a selfish player and I will do whatever it takes for us to win. Now, our record is 11-1.
 I predict that we can win every game from here on out and be state champions. In the end I'm cool with however far we get as long as I know I gave it my all-- I will be able to hang up my Lady Phoenix jersey with my head held high! 

Comments

  1. I love how you explained the mindsets you were going through.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment