Alumni Spotlight: Michelle Wilson


Heartbeat of the Phoenix Family 



by, Majid Johnson




The University High School family has a ton of alumni that are on staff here at our school. As I am sure many of you know this one, our Athletic Director, Mrs. Michelle Wilson. Ms. Wilson entered the doors of University High School as a bright eyed seventh grader, before becoming one of the school leaders that we know today. Ms. Wilson is one of the few alumni that hold a high position at University High School. She does her job with pride and it shows. Ms. Wilson is at every single sporting event late at night and on the weekends. During the day, you will find her meeting with parents or running around the building handling her business. But. her main goal and objective as our athletic director and a school leader is to help maintain our school culture and to further the excellent reputation for our school. Students we have to play our part by keeping our grades and test scores high and continuing to rise as a school with a powerhouse athletic division.

University High School is in Ms. Wilson's heart and it shows!

Ms. Wilson thinks one way we can recapture our school's reputation of excellence is by dressing the part. I know as students we think that uniforms are stupid and we'd rather not wear them.

However, Ms. Wilson disagrees. She believes that,  "being in uniform, wearing the Phoenix colors makes us more of community -- we actually look like a family.:" Think about, as being a part of a team.

In between her busy schedule and running around the school, I had the chance to sit down and talk with Ms. Wilson. In our conversation she shared her thoughts about a few things. One of which is what she thinks helps her to be successful at her job.

"Personal attributes that I think are essential for success in my profession include:


  • Having a passion for encouraging positive change and growth in young people
  • Being attentive to details, which helps me with organization, minimizing errors and allowing others to see the time and care put into students regarding academics as well as athletics
  • Be confident in my self helps me to face challenges without fear
  • Interpersonal skills help me to connect well with staff, students, and my student athletes and their families"

Since Ms. Wilson is one of the alumni that have made University High School her professional home, I thought it was important to ask her to share with us, her fondest memory from her time here as a student.

"My fondest memories of University High School were the health and PE classes. As well as my experience in athletics. As a 3 sport athlete under the guidance of the best of the best Ms. Sandy Hewett and Valerie Barns. Their inspiration had and still has great influence on where I am today in my career."

Fifty-Five Clinton Place is an old building. Other than a few changes this building has looked the same for decades. A few years back there was talk of knocking our school down and building us a new school like they did for Science Park. It would be nice if they did. But as of right now, we are in the same old building. So, I asked Ms. Wilson her thoughts on the matter.

“I feel like we don’t need a new building, we are The original University this is our true home, if we got a new building it wouldn’t be the same.”

I can see where Ms. Wilson is coming from-- this place feels like home. On the flip side, it wouldn't hurt to get the building remodeled.

After my talk with Ms. Wilson I feel like I wouldn’t mind it if one day I had the opportunity to com back and work at The University High School of Humanities and Law. I know I'd be welcomed with open arms if I did.

It was good to sit down and talk to Ms. Wilson. I got to see another side of her. Not just the Ms. Wilson that takes no prisoners against the students during the Teacher vs. Faculty volleyball game. I got a chance to see that she really does bleed maroon and gray. And everything she does for us is done out of love and respect for us, herself and our school. 

Get that Phoenix clap going one time for our Athletic Director, Mrs. Michelle Wilson!


#Phoenix Pride #RISE

Comments