Senior Athlete Spotlight: Amayah Powell

IS THAT POWELL?

by: Emanni Jenkins



Photo: Courtesy

If you’ve ever attended a University High School Lady Phoenix basketball game, then you have witnessed the greatness of  Amayah Powell aka "The Big Man". Amayah takes on, boxes out  any girl that dares to come in her way. The Lady Phoenix recently celebrated winning the sectional title for the third year in a row. 
  
Amayah Powell is the player you want on your defense squad playing defense in the paint. She grabs more than 7 rebounds per game. Not only does Amayah contribute rebounds, but she dishes out blocks, steals, and assists too. The game against Verona High School February 17, 2018. Powell had 6 blocks, 3 steals, and 5 rebounds. Against Montclair Immaculate she had 10 rebounds and a total 11 points. Not only is she big in the paint but she plays offense too.

I was able to catch up with Amayah and talk to her about her time as a ball player here at University.

Photo: NJ.com

How long have you been playing basketball?

“Since 3rd grade.”

How do you think you contribute to your team?

“I feel like I contribute rebounds, letting them know if you miss it, I got your back basically.”

Entering the state rounds, what were your first thoughts?

“It’s my last year playing basketball in high school I don’t want it to end, i need a ring. That’s my mindset.”

What type of basketball do you think you play?

“I play the type of basketball where as if my goal is to not let you score, I’m locking you down. I’m aggressive, you can’t get passed me and I use my weight and height to my advantage.

Will you continue to play in college?

“Yes.”
Interested in seeing Amayah Powell show off her talent before she hangs up her Lady Phoenix jersey? There’s a game Friday March 9th, 2018 5:00P.M. in Toms River.

Comments