Senior Athlete Spotlight: Monica Lassiter




by: Shardea Armstrong 


I caught up with former cheer captain now track athlete, Monica Lassiter. We spoke about her high school experience juggling sports, academics, her activities outside of school.

I asked Monica why she decided to step back at the cheer captain in her senior year, she had this to say, “I’d rather have a peace of mind then be somewhere I find toxic.” 

It seems that things aren't peaches and cream on the cheerleading team. I followed up her response by asking, “Is there a lot of drama on the cheerleading team?”

To which she said,  “Not necessarily. But when it’s good it can be fun. But when it gets bad...the energy becomes negative. It’s something I didn’t want to be around."

Monica admits that she finds that track is much less stressful and easier to enjoy now. After quitting cheerleading Monica started track. So I asked if she liked track better. She said, "Yes." When I asked Monica if she could see herself taking up either of these sports in college she responded, “No. That's why I didn't care about leaving cheerleading." Monica doesn't see a future for herself in either sport. She also said she doesn't like participating in sports at this point in her high school career. 

Monica has a job outside of school so I asked her if she found it hard to multitasking school, sports, and work. She said, "It's not hard, its mostly tiring” 

With such a busy schedule it can be hard to find the time to chill. So I asked Monica what she does to unwind. She said, "It all depends on if I have to work throughout the whole weekend or not. If I don't,  I usually just use the whole weekend to chill.”

 Monica still plans to push through until the end of the season and she has no regrets. I asked her if she would do things differently and opt out of school sports if she could do it all again.  Monica said, She said that she wouldn't do anything differently. Personally, I think Monica deserves a round of applause for being able as much as she has been handling for the past four years and remaining positive through it all. I wish I could multitask and make it seem easy in the process. 



Comments

  1. I admire her positive attitude, wish it was something I had more of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand Monica's struggle. Trying to balance multiple things during high school is difficult, and with college around the corner its even more stressful. Props to her for being very proactive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being that I've experienced this first hand I can relate to Monica's thoughts and I'm proud of her for being able to make the difficult decisions she made

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate, being in school trying to focus and juggling sports and dealing with colleges at the same time can be very stressful and tiring.. I admire her positive attitude through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She has a great attitude toward her former situation and being able to realize that her surrounding environment was toxic. I applause her, because a lot of people wouldn't know what to do in that situation. Tbh, I also applause her for being able to juggle all of her activities along with academics because its difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I've been going to school with Monica since the 7th grade and I didn't know this. Also I feel where she's coming from with sports, school, and college.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a very well put together article and I really enjoyed reading it. Nice way to gather all of this information and learn things about Monica and her journey of being an athlete at UHS. Very relatable and understanding article for me.
    -Dom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its hard trying to balance school and sports. Monica was able to make certain changes to help her and I congratulate her on that .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can truly relate to Monica and her student athlete duties. However, you were truly missed by me this season Monica! I hope you have enjoyed your new transitioning in a different sport and wish you the best in College.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can somehow relate to Monica struggles when she states that working, sports, & school can be very tiring even though I don't play any sports I work and I go to school and when I say I be tired I be tired it's like I be feeling like I have to give up on one. It is very hard trying to balance out school and work, esp when it's a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment