Alumni Spotlight: Keyshawn Phelps


Defying the Stereotype 
by, Emanni Jenkins

University’s alumnus Keyshawn Phelps has done nothing less than succeed after he’s graduated from University High School. Recently I had the opportunity to interview  Mr.Phelps and he’s provided useful advice for current students in University High. I was especially interested in what he had to say because he is in college now and I'm getting ready to go there in less than two months. So his experiences are going to likely be ones that we may encounter.




I jumped right into the interview by asking Mr. Phelps what college he attended after graduating from University. Currently, he's a Junior at Virginia State University.  He emphatically says that University High School adequately prepared him for college. He says that his teachers were always supportive & willing to help him if he asked. He goes on to say, "I only wish UHS had Stem programs for the kids like me that love technology. That’s something I want to bring to UHS to help students be more well rounded for college & eventually a career." I found this interesting because now our school is always pushing STEM programs. They even have ones where they are encouraging girls to lean to code. I didn't realize that this is a new thing. Mr. Phelps coyly admits that his fondest memory at University was when he won Prom King.

He also says that if he had high school to do over again he'd do the following: "I would take advantage of all my resources University had to offer. I didn't think about my future after high school till like my senior year. Also, I would have pushed myself harder in the classrooms so my mother wouldn't have to pay for college. Finally, be more involved in school activities such as Talent shows, Student Gov & Etc" I'm sure I will have some academic regrets of my own when it's all said and done. There is always something you can do better there. But as for cheer, I know I left it all on the floor. 

While here at UHS Keyshawn says he most looked forward to, "learning and interacting with my friends and playing sports."

Keyshawn Phelps is majoring in Mechanical Engineering & Technology. Based on his passion, this is not surprising. Even though he's still in college this is his second year working as a global supply chain engineer intern with Colgate-Palmolive.
I asked Mr. Phelps to share with me the personal attributes he feels are essential to have success in his particular field. He says, "First thing you need to be to be successful in my major is the ability to preserve. Things will not go your way & things may get challenging but if you preserve it will get better. Also, you need to be open minded and driven . Them three attributes alone will bring you success."
Lastly, I asked Mr. Phelps to share advice with current University students. To that he says, "I would tell current University students, to take advantage of all of the resources and help that University has to offer, start building relationships now you never know who can be of help. There is more to life than the city of Newark, travel the world, get a degree. Do what you love. Chase your dreams do not allow others and your current situation to limit where you go in life, because it’s not where you start its where you finish. Also, don’t be afraid to try new things and step out of your comfort zone that’s the only way you will find out who you truly are."

Thanks Keyshawn, I couldn't agree more. I will be chasing my dreams in college both in and outside of the classroom. 

Comments