Senior Athlete Feature: Carlos Shamburger



By: Bianca Dodson









Carlos Shamburger is a member of the cheerleading team here at University High School. We talked about how his past with cheerleading and his experience on the team.

So I first asked him about the basics:


When did you begin cheering? Carlos said that he has been doing this for,”About 6 years because I did at my old school and then i cheered for a different high school.”

What made you want to join the team? Carlos told me it was simply because he “missed cheering. Cheering was apart of my life and I missed how happy I was.” With that being said I asked him if cheerleading was he dream sport and he responded, “At first it wasn’t because I used to swim but when I was helping my sister with her cheers, it made me want to.”


It was interesting to hear that he cheered for so long and had passion for another sport.

Knowing that when you cheer you are in front of so many people I asked him if he was nervous when he first tried out. Carlos said,” Yeah. I hadn’t cheered in so long, I thought I wasn't good enough. When i joined, i actually surprised because I thought I had messed up during tryouts.” And then he went on to say that his best memory was when he made the team, he said that it made him very happy.

Then we moved onto his favorites:

What is your favorite cheer?

“I have too many. It is honestly between the let’s go phoenix or don’t stop rock with it!”

What is your favorite move?

“Not gonna like, it was the shakes in our cheers.”

What was your favorite part of cheering?

“The stunts and going to away games. The stunts were like a work out and going to away games always made me happy because it was like a mini competition.”

What was the best game you cheered at?

“The Newark Tech games. Something about cheering at those games always had me hyped.”

I then asked Carlos if he had any regrets and he said,”No, because cheering was something I always did but I let society get to me which made me stop cheering for a while.” And lastly I asked him if he was going to miss it, and will he cheer in college. Carlos said, “Of course! Cheering at university is like a family. I made a lot of friendships and grew as a person. I might actually cheer in college ,I’m not sure yet.”

I really hope that Carlos cheers in the future because you can tell that he has passion and love for cheerleading. I wish him well and the best of luck!!






Comments