Teacher Spotlight: Mr. Defalco


SENIOR TEACHER SPOTLIGHT 

By: Dominique Joseph



Photo: Dominique Jospeh

Behind every outstanding student here at University, there stand amazing teachers. Ones who have guided us every step of the way, these past four years to get where we are today.

Although there are many teachers in which I feel would be perfect to write this article on, I chose my  History and Sociology teacher, Mr. DeFalco. I’ve been a student of his since my sophomore year and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. Aside from his outstanding teaching skills, Mr. DeFalco is someone who is very reliable and is always there for each of his students-- in every way a teacher should be. I would even think of him as a second father. I am honored that I was given the chance to write this article.

DeFalco is the main reason why History is one of my favorite subjects. I am able to learn about many things that I never knew about or would have imagined occurred in the past. Along with his impressive teaching ability, Mr. DeFalco has a very magnificent sense of humor. He is extremely sarcastic which is what I love most about him.

It can be very hard for a teacher at a high school in Newark, NJ, but DeFalco never has any issues. He is highly respected by majority of his students. During a sit down with Mr. DeFalco, I was able to ask him a few questions on his teaching and what he most enjoys about being a teacher at University High School.

I discovered that he'd been teaching in college for 18 years and high school for 15 years. He admits, “I’ve had many careers.Not just jobs, but careers!” All of these careers are similar because they all dealt directly with people. DeFalco shares some of his many careers, “from police officer to therapist to sales, and many others, all [of those jobs] were built on relationships with people.” With experience from all of these different careers and relationships with a variety of people, he found his passion in teaching students.

DeFlaco pointed out that the main reason he enjoys teaching is because he gets to help develop young adults. Aside from the curriculum, he has a wealth of life knowledge that he can impart upon his students. DeFalco adds, “being old gives me experience!” and that if he wasn’t teaching, he’d rather be playing center field for the New York Mets.

In addition, Mr. DeFalco insists he enjoys teaching his psychology class the most, but this doesn’t mean he enjoys his other classes any less. He says that he is greatly attached to this year’s senior class. He’s had many of us for four years; World History, US History I & II, Senior electives, etc. Even summer bridge... I must say, Class of 2018 will definitely miss DeFalco!




DeFalco goes on to say, “I am not embarrassed to say I will be very emotional at graduation. I’ve watched this group of kids grow up, and each one is special to me.”




He spent his entire academic career studying adolescent psychology and admits that there is always something new to learn when you are working with a group of teens on a daily basis. His advice to all graduates is to be malleable. Mr.DeFalco explains, “things do not always go as planned, but that is okay. Life is full of changes, embrace uncertainty. It never stops!”

























































Comments