A Word From Our Advisor

Author Visit From UHS Alum: Tami Charles
Everyone is Like Vanessa
by: Stephanie Jones 

There is nothing more satisfying to me as an English teacher, than to put a book in the hands of my students and they want to read it.  Often times I'm making them read something and well, they're doing everything in their power to get out of reading it. I'm an avid reader and a lover of books-- seriously, I wish I had more time to spend reading the books that I love. Sadly, I can't so it makes me feel good when I am afforded a chance to pass my love of reading on to my students. 

Last June I attended Book Con at the Jacob Javits Center in NY. Let me tell you, it was a dorky teacher and book lover's dream. I will absolutely be back next year. Anyway, I was able to snag an Advanced Reader's Copy of Tami Charles' debut novel Like Vanessa. Available where all books are sold as of March 13, 2018. If you're like me then  Amazon.  is your go to!

Now, full disclosure, Tami Charles is one of my best friends. And I had the pleasure of reading and critiquing this novel from its very earliest existence. Having said that, I told her three years ago that the moment that this book is finished I will place it in the hands of my students. It is just that good!  Three years ago I wasn't teaching at University High School, the very school where we met and became "Dawgs" all those years ago-but now I am. Which made it only right that the moment I got my hands on copies of Like Vanessa, I place them in the hands of Uni middle school students who for the most part, are just like her. Talk about a full circle moment.

I'm her best friend. So, I'm fully aware that I bring a certain bias to my opinion of Like Vanessa. I totally get that. But, as we all know kids tell the truth, even when we may not want them too. If they don't like something you will know all about it. Well, this group of 8th grade scholars did just that after reading Like Vanessa and they had nothing but great things to say. (Click the link above to hear exactly what they said.) 

During their visit with Tami Charles they talked about common themes in the novel. They thanked her for writing a book that takes place in the city of Newark. Student, Manaswini Narayanan personally thanked Tami Charles for tackling such important issues as colorism, body insecurities and family drama in such an authentic way. 

Manaswini said, "I like when authors write about real life issues that students have to deal with. The world isn't always a great place-- even for us kids."

Listen, you don't have to take my word for it but the 8th graders at University High School said, "This book was lit!"

Brenajah Gittens and Mia Finney said, "This is the best book I've ever read." 


Not only am I so excited that I was able to connect my students with a book that they truly love. They got the chance to meet the actual author of the book live and in person thanks to the publishing company Charlesbridge and the SCWBI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators). Previously, we'd been stalking another author. But that is a story for another blog. This select group of students were even given the opportunity to offer Tami Charles ideas for the follow up book. Who knows, she may have just sparked the brain of future authors, play and/or screen writers.

Our school principal, Mr. Mendez has invited Tami Charles back to University to speak with a larger crowd of Phoenix scholars in April. 

Tami Charles is hosting a book signing on March 17th from 4-6pm hosted by Karyn Parsons (Hillary from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) If you would like to know more about the novel, Like Vanessa or Tami Charles just go to tamiwrites.com

For every student that says they don't like to read, to that I say, you just haven't been introduced to the right book!

 #weneeddiversebooks #representationmatters



Comments