Alumni Spotlight: Rabiah Duncan





On Her Grind 

By, Malaysia Cotton

During our break for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, I had the opportunity to connect with University High School Alumna Rabiah Duncan. Neither Rabiah or Ms. Jones disclosed the year she graduated from University but I gather from the amount of education she’s had, it was some time ago. But, by looking at the photo, I can hardly tell.

Rabiah Duncan is the Founder and CEO for The Mommy Grind (a global network for mothers to share experiences about motherhood.) They curate conversations and experiences that result in authentic engagement and trusted relationships between brands and mothers across the world. The Mommy Grind started as a Facebook Group on November 1, 2017 for 100 mothers to talk about "work/life balance." A year later we are 17,000+ strong and represent mothers that want to share their "daily grind." I never knew that you could create a brand a business off of something like Facebook. That makes me thinking differently when my teachers or my parents tell me to stop wasting my time on social media.

Rabiah is also the Corporate Sponsorship Manager for the Montclair Film Festival. I created win-win partnership with brands and organizations that want to activate programming during the Montclair Film Festival and year-round opportunities.

In addition, to being a Brand Strategist and and Negotiation Coach. She helps mothers and "Mompreneurs "redefine their grind" by helping them find their creative voice and pursue the lives they desire. This sounds like she has like five totally amazing jobs. This alumna is about her paper and her hustle. #GOALS

Since I am a senior and I will be leaving here in a few short months I wanted to start my interview by asking what Rabiah did after she graduated from UHS:

“After graduating from University High School in 1999, I attended William Paterson University. I graduated May 2013 with a BA in Communications and a Minor in Music Business Management. During my Junior year, I left William Paterson to participate in a National Student Exchange Program and attended Virginia State University for two semesters.”

Personally, I am a student that complains about the amount of homework or tests we get in certain classes. I often wonder what’s the point. That led me to my next question. I asked Rabiah, if she thought that UHS adequately prepared her for college and/or her chosen profession. Her response:

“I am forever grateful for University High School, the teachers, the curriculum, and the many many opportunities that were afforded to me. For example, I wrote my first 20 page research paper on Elizabethan education in Honors English while at University. The bar was set high! From that experience I was was able to confidently outline, research, write, and cite a college paper in my sleep. I can draft a business proposal with ease and professionalism. Thank you Ms. Andrews!”

This almost me makes me look at my work load differently but I won’t tell my teachers they were right just yet.
I really connected with Rabiah when I asked her to share her fondest memory from her time here at UHS. She said, “I have so many fond memories of University but I can narrow it down to two: The Pep Rallies were the highlight of my year. That excitement, the high energy, always set the tone for the year! It was the moment where students, teachers, and administrators closed the school books and had FUN!! And CHORUS! I felt like a well trained vocalist after 6 years of chorus class! The performances, the fellowship, and our signature song “Call Him Up” I can totally relate to looking forward to the pep rallies they are the best part of the school year.

I asked Rabiah to end our conversation with a word of advice for the current students, she had this to say to us:

"My advice for current students is DO IT! We are all blessed with a remarkable gift: creativity. If you have ever caught yourself daydreaming about people you will meet, places you will visit, foods you will try, businesses you will build, opportunities you provide, do not take vision for granted...DO IT! Be bold and confident enough to step outside of your comfort zone and your environment and explore everything the world has to offer. But here is the catch...you have to surround yourself with people who will support you and will help bring your vision to life. Some people will not understand your choices which can negatively impact decision making. Stay FOCUSED! You have everything you need to be successful. Ask people you trust for the tools and resources you need and DO IT! There is no such thing as failure.

As a young adult, you will evolve and reinvent yourself, over and over and over. Embrace every lesson and move on to the next journey. You got this! DO IT!"

Thank you Rabiah, you don’t have to tell me twice!


Comments