Alumni Spotlight: Charissa Myers


Designing her Own Life
by, Karin Adams 



Photo: Facebook

I had to pleasure to interview University High School Alumna Charissa Myers. She’s currently the fashion designer of her own clothing line of skirts and dresses called Sew Rissa. In our interview I asked her some questions about her life now and in what ways did her experiences here at University shape her life. Ms. Myers has her own Facebook page where you can view her designs. From my perspective she does a lot of African designs and her work is amazing.

Ms. Myers is self employed...seamstress/fashion designer.  When I asked her for her biggest accomplishment as a seamstress she had this to say, "My biggest accomplishment as a business woman would be that I stepped on faith...emptied my entire savings to start this business. I have been able to start from the ground and build this family business from the ground up. I have made garments for National Recording Gospel Artists such as Beverly Crawford Lisa Knowles-Smith Maranda Curtis The Late Lecresia Campbell And Jekalyn Carr I am a featured designer for the Kansas City Fashion Week. I will be showcasing in March."

Courtesy 
Courtesy 
After graduating from University, Ms. Myers didn't attend college until later in life. But she believes that UHS prepared her and her friends for life after high school.  She joined the Army after her senior year of high school. She served in the military for 6 years two years of which she spent in Bosnia.

When I asked Ms. Myers to share her fondest memories of being at University this is what she said,
"I will say my fondest memory would be all the Pep Rallies. They were always fun."

Personally, I love fashion myself and someday I hope to also take some time and focus on designing things. I might just need a couple tips from her.  So I decided to ask her what advice she would you give to current University students. Ms. Myers said, "My advice to current students would be to work hard towards your goals. Always be a leader and not a follow. You will never be noticed in a crowd. Be set apart. Let your light shine. And never be afraid to take risks. Walk out with FAITH."

Ms. Myers is proof that everyone should love what they do or it isn't right for you. I hope to one day be so lucky.

Comments