Clubs & Activities: Debate Team


Ryan Hemnarine Wins by Unanimous Decision 
in Newark Invitational
By M. Pichardo


When it comes to competitive sports and activities, University High School ranks high on the winning charts. Whether it be basketball, tennis, or chess, competitiveness is something that isn’t taken quite lightly.

Senior Ryan Hemnarine proved just that when he won the Newark Invitational against Pacy Yan by a 5-0 decision on January 6th, 2018. After his win I caught up with him to find out how he felt about this remarkable accomplishment.

Q: What got you into debate?

A: "I joined debate because it gave me a space where I can talk about important issues where my voice matters."

Q: What was one of the most challenging parts of competing in the invitational?

A: "The most challenging part is staying focused while you’re too anxious to eat and you’re competing for long hours."

Q: Do you feel as if you were the best fit for the competition as opposed to your fellow team members?

A: "I think my entire team is fit for competition because we all do tons of work in preparation for these debate tournaments."

Q: Do you feel as if there were any errors on your end while you were competing?

A: "I wasn’t as efficient as I wanted to be, especially the last round of pre-elimination rounds."

Q: Do you think you successfully executed your argument?

A: As I said about my errors, I could’ve been more efficient.

Q: Would you recommend debating for any other students? Why?

A: "I’d recommend debate because it teaches critical thinking skills, helps you tremendously in school, and allows you to travel the world."

When thinking of winning in a competition by yourself, like what Ryan did, you tend to lean towards giving only the winner credit. Ryan does exactly the opposite. He credits his team, because without them, he wouldn’t have advanced as much in his debating career.

Comments

Post a Comment