Alumni Feature: Jasonn Denard


Leading With Passion & Purpose
by, Dwight Ankle
Photo: Instagram

University High School has historically been synonymous with academic excellence within the city of Newark and beyond. Students have graduated from here and gone on to achieve great things. Some have gone on to be educators who inspire the students of today. This is exactly what University alumnus, Jasonn Denard is doing as the principal of American History High. Mr. Denard was kind enough to take time out of his busy schedule allow me to interview him for this alumni feature.

Mr. Denard graduated from University High School class of  1999. From there he attended Kean University for his undergraduate studies then Seton Hall University for graduate school. During our interview, Mr. Denard shares his experience at University with me. First, I asked him about his fondest memory from high school.

He says “ UHS introduced me to friends that I will have for life. While I was not the best student, I was surrounded by Newark’s best and brightest and they allowed me to grow and develop into the leader that I am today. Some of the the class and schoolmates who helped and inspired me currently work in or with University High School: Otis Anderson – Boys Basketball Coach, Michelle Wilson - Athletic Director and Hassanah Blake – VP.”

During his time here at UHS Mr.Denard looked most forward to having lunch with friends. “I loved lunch! I enjoyed it because of the levels of conversation that we would have. We talked about sports, politics, music and a host of other things. Many of those conversations are still with me nearly 20 years later.” Mr. Denard also enjoyed chorus. “Though I could not sing well, my chorus teacher (Ms. James) had a huge impact on my life. She pushed me to be and do my best (and still to this day continues to push me)!”
I asked Mr. Denard if he had a chance to chance to do high school all over again if there was anything that he'd do differently. His response:

"I would put forth a better effort during my first year. I was not as focused and ended up working much harder during my junior and seniors years of high school. Freshman year is an important year, it sets the stage for what it to come. Much of what is needed to be successful (the foundation) in ELA, Math and Science is laid during that very critical year."

But now that Mr. Denard is out of highschool and well into his career, I was curious to know if University High School adequately prepared you for his career. Mr. Denard doesn't hesitate in responding, “It did prepared me, in fact UHS inspired me. It is because of Mrs. Howard, my grade 10 ELA teacher that I choose this profession. Her approach, patience and passion for her job inspired me and a host of my other classmates.”

When asked to share attributes that he deems are essential for success in his profession, Mr. Denard had this to say, “Patience, kindness, responsiveness and a wiliness to grow with and learn from others.”

Of course as an alum Mr. Denard had to share some advice with us current high school students. He says, “Stay the course and pay attention during theses very important high school years,” he goes on to say something that really stood out to me, “Find a mentor and seek/heed their advice. Once you have found success, come back and give back to our community! Also take care of your school, have pride for the burgundy and gray. You guys walk through the same hallways as the doctors, mayors, singers, activist, lawyers and educators who came before you.”

If I had a mic, I'd drop it. Mr. Jasonn Denard gave us food for thought for real. Time for us to do the dishes! Thanks Mr. Denard for lending your time and imparting your wisdom. 




Comments