Alumni Feature: Jason Williams

Unbreakable Bonds 

by Karin Adams 

Photo: Courtesy

Every alumni I’ve had the opportunity to speak with have all spoken very highly about University High School. I've got a little more than three months left in my senior year, soon be joining that prestigious club. Recently, I got the chance to speak with alumnus, Jason Williams. Mr. Williams is a Global Project Planner for Novartis Pharmaceutical Corporation. I asked him a few questions about his experience here and all he gave was positive feedback. Mr. Williams, like many other alumni certainly enjoyed his time spent and bonds built at University High school.

Mr. Williams is a successful leader within his profession. He attributes his success to the following:

"A good 85-90% of success within my field is how one interacts with people. I will not provide you with a sugar-coated statement here. You will be judged. People will look at you differently. This is our world, this is unfortunate. The best way I have prepared for this is to get to know people. Once you know people, know their habits, predict their behavior, predict their movements, then you will have a set of behavioral tools to make decisions that favor you. It’s all about observing. Refrain from being impulsive. Observe for a bit, gather data, and then make your calculated move. I know this sounds cliché, but in these times we cannot afford to be anything but calculated."

We kicked off  our interview by discussing what Mr. Williams did after he walked across the stage with his diploma in hand. I asked, "What college did you attend after graduating from University?"

He replied, "After graduating from UHS, I went on to attend Rutgers University in New Brunswick."

I followed up that question by asking, if he thought UHS adequately prepared him for college and/or his career?

"Yes! This is definitely an emphatic “Yes”. I entered my college course with my study and academic habits already honed and trained. For first year college students, there is usually a social learning curve. How does one survive out on their own, without no one guiding or looking over their shoulder (if they ever even had that)? I found that my experience at UHS prepared me for the rush of independence from that initial college experience. I was more than adequately prepared."

When we wrote our personal statements I tried to think about what my fondest memory of University will be. As of right now I am still not sure, but I asked Mr. Williams to share his. He replied,  

"While there are so many to choose from, I would be remiss if I did not express my genuine love for relationships and friendly bonds shared throughout Uni. You might not be aware at the moment, but the people you meet there, the bonds you create, the minds you influence, each interaction carries the potential for future implications, advancement, and life experiences. My fondest memory from my experience at University lies within the friendships formed, across grades. We had our fellow classmates, of course, but the Uni family was so close-knit, through various avenues (AP cases, Big/Little Brother/Sister programs, Sports events, etc.), that almost every event or happening at the school was all-inclusive. Coming to High School was akin to visiting your “other” family. I will never forget that."

There is nothing that I look forward to doing at school this year-- but I blame it on being a senior. I', just ready to graduate. I wonder if that will change when I'm older and I start reflecting on these days. This prompted me to ask Mr. Williams if there was anything that he looked forward to doing during his school day while he was here. He with jokes and virtual smiles he said,  "While others looked forward to gym. I also, really looked forward to writing in Mrs. Gironda’s class. I also looked forward to solving challenging mathematical Calc concepts. Oh, and Gym… definitely looked forward to Gym." 

High school is the time to try different things, make mistakes and learn from them. So I wondered if Mr. Williams had done anything in high school that he wishes he could erase so I asked, "If you had to do high school all over again, what would you do differently?"

He responded quickly with, "Absolutely nothing. I do not regret a single moment of my high school experience."

Lastly, I asked Mr. Williams to share some advice with current University students:

"My dear friend, my advice is simple. You get one shot at this crazy, unexplainable thing called life. 1 SHOT! Then in an instant your blip of existence in time is forever gone. Do not live it with regret! Do things that make you happy. And be nice to people for the sake of being nice. This is how I feel every morning. This is what motivates me.”

Form bonds, enhance relationships, cherish and make memories. The people with whom you share this social experience (UHS!!!) will always be a part of you. Recognize that. Embrace it.

“Generate a picture of your life that motivates you, one that makes you launch yourself out of bed, excitedly, to be a part of this day.”

From the looks of it, University has played an very important role in Jason's life and he's grateful for it. I agree with him wholeheartedly when he says, “Form bonds, enhance relationships, cherish and make memories” because you'll need it. I believe that these bonds will last a lifetime-- even if we don't see it now. 

Comments