Alumni Spotlight: Jordan Thomas


The Smartest Alumni of All Time

By: Tamar Wertz
Photo: NJ.Com

Jordan Thomas is arguably the SMARTEST alumni to ever have graduated from University High School, maybe even the smartest kid to attend school in the city of Newark. Now, I know that this is an extremely bold statement. Let me tell you why this may be more of a fact, than an opinion. Jordan Thomas graduated from University High School in 2014 as the class president and the valedictorian. He went on to Princeton University on a full scholarship. Just this past December he was granted the Rhodes Scholarship. Now if you're like me, then you have no idea what a Rhodes Scholarship is and why it's important so, I did a little research. Here's what I found, according to rhodeshouse.ox,  a Rhodes Scholarship is:

  • The Rhodes Scholarship is the oldest (first awarded in 1902) and perhaps most prestigious international scholarship programme
  • The Scholarship aims to nurture public-spirited leaders for the world's future
  • Ninety five outstanding young women and men are awarded the Scholarship each year, from 20 Rhodes constituencies (64 countries) worldwide
What that means in they pick from the best and brightest people in the world to be among this elite class of scholars. Just to put it into further perspective, Former President Obama applied to become a Rhodes Scholar -- he didn't make the list. So yea, I say hands down, Jordan Thomas is the smartest kid from Newark.   

Now before I got the chance to sit down and get familiar with him I must admit, I was nervous. What do I say to him? How do I say it? Will I sound smart? Luckily all of those reservations were put to bed once I actually met him. From the moment I sat down, I felt his energy and the enthusiasm bounce right off of him. It felt like another person in the room. It was amazing and it instantly I wanted to be a better scholar. 

Jordan Thomas graduated from University High School four years ago. Since,  he has gone on to do extraordinary things. As I mentioned earlier, Jordan is a senior at Princeton University and he has just been awarded the Rhodes Scholarship to the University of Oxford. As I interviewed him, he informed me of his path to success. I asked about if he had to sacrifice anything and if so, what did he have to sacrifice. 

Jordan immediately answered, “Absolutely!!” he went on to say, “I think time management really became so key, not only in pursuit of Rhodes but also at Princeton.” 

Jordan explains that time management was the best way to go so giving up hobbies like gaming and gym time was a sacrifice he had to make, but he made sure to let us know, “A lot of the things you do for fun doesn’t mean that you don’t do them anymore and become so invested in the books you’re like a robot, it’s still about having fun but just doing so responsibly.” 

As long as you have fun responsibly, you don’t have to stress about life, like Jordan said “time management is key”.

I began to speak about his journey coming from University and the role the teachers played in his upcoming success. He mentioned Mr. Hood continuously and joked, that he eventually evolved into another Mr. Hood. “I eventually picked up on his mannerisms” as he then reminisced about a moment he and Mr. Hood shared with each other.
Photo: Courtesy of Facebook

“I remember one time, I was talking to somebody and I said something and Mr. Hood turned around and said the same thing, it was like a catch phrase we both adopted.” He goes on to give credit to Ms. Dunkerware and other Phoenix teachers. 

“They taught me to push past complacency. Always to give 110 percent." 

No matter the situation you have to give 110 percent in everything you do. At the end of the day, the he believed he would not be where he is today, without the help of the teachers from University and the opportunities they provided.

Speaking of pushing past complacency,  I asked, “How hard was it for you to achieve this level of academic success given the circumstances of your environment and what precautions/measures did you have to take to become as successful as you are now?” 

 He hesitated, then went on to say, “I look at it as a blessing more than a curse because living in this environment makes you stronger and mentally mature, it makes you have a very different way of looking at the world.” 

He later detailed his meaning by comparing the situation to a philosophical conversation he had with a friend about if money means nothing. Jordan explained his theory by giving an example of a single mother in the hood raising two kids, while working two jobs to provide for her family, so try telling her money is nothing. Now his barriers were similar to mine and this made me feel like I can do it too. 

“Resources and finance were a huge barrier in my life...not having enough textbooks to provide the students with..”

All in all, he states that these barriers make you a stronger person and a more motivated person to do better, and I personally agree with him.

Lastly, I asked him if he can provide current University High School seniors with some advice and/or words of encouragement to assist them with this process of progressing to a different chapter in our lives. 

He said enthusiastically, “Absolutely, I know it can seem overwhelming but it is exciting and my best advice to them is to slow down and think critically about who you are, look in the mirror and ask yourself: Who am I? Who do i want to be in this world? How do I want to do the things I want to do in this world? And link those to What am I good at? And What do I enjoy doing? And if you link those two then you will be alright. Just make sure you always give 110 percent.” 

Jordan overall is a really sophisticated, awesome, and fun guy to have a conversation with. He persuades you to be the best you can be and we could use more people like him in the world. 
Photo: Phoenix Flame
Photo: Courtesy of Phoenix Flame

Congratulations Jordan Thomas on your success and we wish you best of luck in your future!

Comments

  1. Great Job! Tamar. Jordan, I am honored to be mentioned; It has been an honor to have "taught" you and so many that I know will build a better world through service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sublime Article, I loved the interview. Best article I've read all year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Article, I enjoyed the fact that it was so detailed and you got so much information.
    -Dom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg! I remember seeing him my first year here as a Freshman.. I recognized him by the huge Afro lol I want to congratulate him for his excellence and success. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is probably the best alumni article I have read so far great job Tamar

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was truly inspiring and motivational. Seeing someone from our school work so hard makes me believe I can do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful story Tamar. Be inspired Phoenix Family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am truly inspired by your article! It gave me some useful tips that I will use in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment