Alumni Spotlight: Alisha Lee

Lessons Learned
by, Ikea Greene




For those of you that don't know, allow me to introduce you to alumna Ms. Alisha Lee. Ms. Alisha Lee is in the education field, and teaching is her life. She is passionate about her job and she loves kids. Ms. Lee graduated from University in june of 1997. She is a Vice Principal of the Early Childhood School-North better known as the Gladys Hillman-Jones School. I had the opportunity to speak this alumna and ask her a few questions about her experience in University High School. During our interview I found it very interesting to learn that University has always been a school filled with caring and dedicated teachers and administrators. I know from experience that University has a lot of teachers who not only who cares about your grades, but they want to make sure you succeed in life. Ms. Lee had this experience as well.

We kicked off our interview by talking about what she did after graduating from high school.

What college(s) did you attend after graduating from University?

"I graduated from University High School in June of 1997 and entered Kean University Summer Program, Exceptional Educational Opportunities better known as (EEO). This program through EOF funding assisted students from low socioeconomic backgrounds with supplemental academic and social supports. While attending Kean University, my major of concentration changed 3 times. I began my studies as an Elementary Education Major, and then I changed my focus to Early Childhood Education. However, I ended up graduating from Kean University with a Bachelor’s of Arts Degree in Public Administration in May of 2002.
In the Spring of 2003, I re-enrolled at Kean University to obtain my teaching certificate for Early Childhood Education, as I had just begun my teaching experience. In 2006, I decided to further my education and enrolled in The College of Saint Elizabeth to earn a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership. I completed my degree requirements in May of 2008. Two years later I re-enrolled at the College of Saint Elizabeth to earn my certificate of Teacher of Students with Disabilities due to the developmental challenges that were present in my students. Currently, I am pursuing my Doctorate of Education in Educational Leadership at The College of Saint Elizabeth."


Do you think UHS adequately prepared you for college and/or a career?

"When I began my college experience, I did not initially believe that Uni had prepared me for the college experience. I found myself registering for Developmental Math and English courses at the start of my college experience and was a little embarrassed that a graduate from a magnet school was sitting in remedial classes. As I look back on my experiences now, I know I needed to mature and take what was given to me more seriously. I know now that Big Uni did prepare me by ensuring that I was surrounded by teachers who CARED and never gave up on any of us, regardless of our individual circumstances. Our teachers pushed us hard, even when we pushed back; they challenged our thinking and gave us the tools to be stewards of our own learning. This type of perseverance allowed me be open to furthering my education one degree at a time.
Our teachers back then were determined to see us all win, and that passion was dropped in my spirit to ensure that as a teacher, I needed all of my students to not just win, but WIN BIG. My last few years as a teacher, my principal at the time told all the teachers that we needed to highlight a Newark High School in our classes to inspire our students to push forward from early elementary to high school and later college and/or career readiness. It was only natural that I had the Almighty Phoenix as my class’ mascot. Although my students weren’t able to truly connect their thinking to looking forward to high school, seeing this visual reminder of where I came from instilled in me a sense of pride."

When we talked about her profession, Ms. Lee had this to say;

"I began my early educational experiences in a Newark Day Care Center, graduated from a Newark elementary school, Peshine Avenue; and graduated from a Newark high school; University. It was only natural to come full circle and become a Pre-kindergarten Teacher in the great city of Newark, New Jersey for 15 years. This school year I walked into a new role, Vice Principal of the Early Childhood School-North better known as the Gladys Hillman-Jones School. As the school leader I am humbled to be given the task of leading a transformative school to its full potential as my teachers at University led me to mine." 



What personal attributes do you think are essential for success in your profession?

"To be successful as an educator, you have to be reflective. You must constantly examine your actions and ask yourself if there’s more to be done. You must have a growth mindset and be able to embrace all the challenges that come with change. You can never be closed off to trying new and innovative strategies to have the greatest impact on teaching and learning, as all our students deserve the very best we have to offer as educators. It is truly a calling because teaching is so rewarding as teachers shape the minds of those who will lead us tomorrow. Barbara Irvin, retired Newark Principal once said, I can teach you HOW to teach. I CAN”T teach you to like kids- and that’s how I feel as a school leader. Ultimately, if you do not have a love for children, you won’t have a love for teaching. Teaching is so much more than spelling tests and book reports. Teaching is developing and sustaining healthy relationships with students, families and the community. Teaching is being the counselor, nurse, bodyguard, cook, therapist, cheerleader, mentor, financier, and even the parent to students who need just a little more of you. Teachers don’t choose teaching. Teaching chooses teachers."

What is your fondest memory from your days at University?

"First I would be remiss if I didn’t say- You Just Had To Be There!!! However, the fondest memory I have when I think about my time at University is just the ongoing support I received from THE BEST GUIDANCE COUNSELORS ever- Mrs. Noble and Mrs. Mahon, along with the support from Mrs. Melvin. These three extraordinary women embraced and encouraged me to never give up on myself, even when society did. They taught me to walk with pride and to never be ashamed of anything but to always learn from my mistakes and to do the very best with what I had.

See, I was a teenage parent, giving birth to my beautiful baby girl my senior year, Imani-Nicole- and now that beautiful baby girl will be graduating in May of 2018 from Morgan State University with the aspirations of becoming a TEACHER! Educators matter- they help shape the lives of all they encounter in some shape or form. We all need positive people in our lives because genuine concern is felt, appreciated and modeled for the next generation. If I can do it, anyone can do it!

Circumstances are just that-circumstances, but they do not define you nor do they speak to your character or what’s in your heart. We are all destined to be great in our own way. We are Jewels of Newark- and we shine and sparkle on!!!!!!"

Of all of the things Ms. Lee said in our interview, this stood out to me most;

"The most important life lessons we will ever learn will be from the bad decisions we make. Experience comes from our way of living, understanding and the adjustments we make.We need to learn from our mistakes so that we do not run the risk of repeating them. We must develop the wisdom and sense to make good decisions and choices.

Good judgment will only develop if you truly learn from your mistakes . If you keep repeating the same patterns, how can you ever expect your results to differ? It is much more beneficial to face the mistake than to escape from it because it will never be solved by itself."

And on that note, I will no longer regret my errors but look at it as an opportunity to grow. Thank you for those words of inspiration Ms. Lee. Lesson learned!

Comments

  1. this article was very interesting to read and kept me tuned in . ms Alisha's advice is definitely something to keep note of and her journey is very admirable

    ReplyDelete
  2. The advice she gives is going to help me in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific article, the advice given by Mrs. Lee is very useful and inspiring.
    -Dom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can’t agree I hated my few years here only a few teachers who’s classes I did enjoy to learn in however the article is great it’s nice to see how others feel about University

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article is very good and i like how detailed the answers was, also how honest she was about some. Great article overall.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment