Current Events: Tell Them We are Rising





Founding Members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. which was founded at Howard University on January 15, 1908

Recently, I watched this PBS special called, Tell Them We are Rising about the history of historically Black colleges and universities.

During the 1800’s, an education was valued, cherished, and yearned for by African Americans. The years following The Civil War, slaves were “freed” yet, uneducated, and therefore powerless, an unimportant factions of society.  The more African Americans were held back and told they were unable and incapable of reading, the stronger their passion and curiosity grew. African Americans ventured out to receive an education and conform to society, but of course, whites could not bear the idea of an African American showing signs of humanization. A race that had been classified as three fifths of men and called "property", were now filled with the desire to participate in every aspect of society. With intentions keep oppress Blacks oppressed, many African Americans were turned away from schools, and denied education, thus historically Black colleges now known ad HBCUs were born.

In 1873, the first Historically Black College or University was founded in Pennsylvania; the trend began to skyrocket. All over, African Americans were creating their own schools that specialize in themselves. These rich in culture colleges were exclusive to them, many blacks found comfort in attending a school where they felt safe and at ease. As our race has progressed, HBCUs have drastically changed. Many are very diverse now, but nonetheless still a significant part of the fabric of our country.

In 2018, although we  have the opportunities to soar higher than our ancestors, there are still glass ceilings that need to be shattered. At these HBCUs we are witnessing a continuation of our great history and legacy. I watch as my fellow African Americans become doctors, lawyers, teachers, and everything we were told we couldn't be, because of an education we were told we couldn't get. Eager college students step onto these campuses to take their place in history on the backs of their ancestors who attended these HBCUs. Or the ones that couldn't attend classes yet they built them from the ground up. I believe the Historically Black Colleges aren't just about partying, but about the history that lies within them. The significance many of these colleges have on thousands of African Americans runs through their blood. It is beneficial for children to see and experience HBCUs and really understand their importance and the doors of opportunities that have been opened because of them.

Historically Black Colleges are flourishing, however their reputations are beginning to deteriorate. People are beginning to attend HBCUs because of the party aspect rather than the education. Some would argue that there is no need for them any more because we do live in a post Civil Rights era America right?





Personally, I plan to attend Howard University fall in the fall of 2018. Howard University was founded in 1897 in Washington, DC. Howard University has earned the reputation for one of the best, if not the best, historically Black University. Attending this HBCU will reflect very highly of myself and show that I am capable of entering a school for the best of the best. Howard has a long and illustrious history of offering African American students a world-class education. At Howard I know my education and extracurricular activities will be a one-of-a-kind experience that I will be unable to find anywhere else, especially surrounded by an abundance of students that come from similar backgrounds.

In addition to the students, the professors at an HBCU are very dedicated to the advancement of African American education. I know I will have professors and other faculty at hand, ready to assist, nurture, and guide me throughout my college education. Even though Howard is HBCU, I am looking forward to a socioeconomic diversity, that I am not accustomed to previously during high school. But, I’m most intrigued to experience sorority life through campus. Sisterhood is an unbreakable and forever bond. At least this is what I’ve heard, and I’m so anxious to experience this myself. Many of the positive role models in my life, such as the Alpha Kappa Alpha women I've met through their The ASCEND Program have attended HBCUs. They talk about their life changing experiences and they've got so much love for their alma maters. Even those who did not attend HBCUs mention how they regret not going to one. And they always encourage me to consider attending one.

Regardless of what may be said, I know the history of our black colleges and I’m very excited to see what attending a historically Black college and university will have in store for me. HU class of 2022!

Comments

  1. I feel like the out look on the importance of black colleges has deteriorated over the years but the importance itself has not and hopefully future generations will understand the importance and help black colleges thrive again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people questioned black people attending college. Having HBCU around gave them the chance to prove themselves but also be around others with the same passion as them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't not understand why many African Americans even question HBCU due to the fact at one point of time we couldn't have any education now that we have our own black colleges where we can actually learn from and with our kind is questioned. I feel like us African Americans have to stick together more and contribute to one another. Black lives matter!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment