Senior Athlete Spotlight: Dominique Joseph

by, Sadeeya Bentham 



A few days ago I got the chance to interview one of our girls' basketball players, Dominique Joseph. Dominique proudly wears the number 3. She is a guard for our State and Sectional Champion Lady Phoenix Basketball Team. She's been playing basketball since the third grade. 

Dominique says,  "This year has been the best year of her basketball career. It was a year to remember. Our team won the state championship." Being a basketball player is a significant part of Dominique's life. Even though basketball has played a huge part in the person she is today she will not continue to play in college-- more about that later though. 

Here’s what she had to say about the way she’s grown over the years, “My skills have improved but my love for the sport began to fade. Basketball became more about winning than having fun and doing what I love" Although her love for basketball decreased , her motivation to continue playing is her teammates. The team this year has by far been one of the best group of players in the last few years because they they play as a team.

I asked Dominique what advice would she give anyone younger considering playing high school basketball .  "Be prepared for all pressure and eyes being on you." High School basketball is very much different from middle school basketball and you have to have the mindset of a champion, even when you're losing. Understand that there will be a lot of pressure and learn how to cope with it, especially during your last year."

Lastly, I asked Dominique why this will be her last year playing basketball. She said, "This the end of my career because I just don’t enjoy it as much as i use to. I would rather move on to something different. It just isn’t my thing anymore."  

Sadly, she is ending her career, however, I know she will succeed in any path she takes in college. Overall, I had a pleasure talking to Dominique about her basketball experience here at University High School.

Comments

  1. Dominique is a great basketball player, she deserves nothing but the best in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the article and i enjoy seeing Dom play. Im upset to know that her basketball career is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this article about Domonique. She is an amazing basketball player who is going going to make it far.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment