Senior Year Chronicles

Senioritis
by, Majid Johnson 


Just in case you don't know what senioritis is, let me break it down for you. Senioritis is something that happens during your senior year of high school. This is when seniors, who are close to the end but they are already over school. You are ready to graduate today. So much so that you could slack in multiple ways, this is my definition of it.

The actual definition is “a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.” 

Whatever it is, I have it. In fact, I've caught a bad case if senioritis. It kicked in as soon as 2018 arrived


After all the fun I had  during winter break, plus the fact that I'm a senior-- it just made me feel like it's over. I'm done. Forget the school work, I'm ready for graduation. Well I was wrong, school is far from over. I got smacked with ESSAYS, MAD HOMEWORK, PROJECTS, ASSESSMENTS! All type of work. Miraculously, I was able to put my senioritis on pause and get them done.  But I'm not going to front. I took my intelligence for granted and used that as a reason for me to fall behind.

Another indicator of  senioritis would be missing multiple days of school. I'm talking like you only come to school like two days in a five day school week. And when you're in school you're not doing much or any work in school. You come in late. Super late, like second period late. (Guilty as charged) You may also have a nasty attitude would be another sign. But that isn't always connected to senioritis. 

A final senioritis trend I've witnessed, maybe since September, so it may just be a senior year trend-- not wearing uniforms. You come to school in sweatpants, jeans or whatever dope outfit you have hanging in your closet. Anything except for you burgandy and grey. 

Now that we've identified the signs, let's talk about some ways to cure it. Or at least put a band-aid on it until you actually take your senior year final exams.  

1. Talk to a counselor-- this may be the rude awakening you need to get back on track. 
2. Talk to a teacher. Ask them how you can coast maintain until final exams. 
3. Talk to your parents-- They may be able to help you with some tips to get to school on time and stay motivated. 
4.Graduation-- let's face it. Senioritis isn't going to go away unless we actually graduate.  

Most of the Class of 2018 has caught senioritis at the wrong time (sorry teachers, [Kanye shrug]) including me. The appropriate time for this would at least be may. Which luckily, is approaching pretty fast. 

I know you may not think so, but I'm not asking for time to speed up either. Because once it comes that's it. Our days at University High School are done. 

I'm just going to try and keep my head in the game until its over. I suggest my peers do the same.

Comments

  1. Same! Senioritis has gotten the best of me as well. I'm really trying my hardest, the year is slowly coming to an end so it feels good knowing I wont be doing this for much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seniorites hit me hard. over school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally can relate to this. I feel like Senioritis is taking over me! This Spring Break has made it worst to be honest. However, I cannot let it take over me fully LOL I have dreams to persue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely can relate because it's getting to the point where I feel like senioritis is taking over me. I keep trying to push myself and do better and it's like another part of me is just saying girl the year is over with lols

    ReplyDelete
  5. Senioritis hit me! It's to the point where I don't want to do any work anymore or even be in class.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment