Student Spotlight: Amanda Afua Amponsah


Photo: Courtesy
Top of Her Class

by: Tamar Wertz

As we head into the third cycle, reality kicks in. Suddenly school gets super serious. Students are usually nervous, panicking to get their grades up at the end of the cycle. Some are even crying. But not this junior, she handles it like a boss. Top junior Amanda Afua Amponsah is the most academically driven student of the junior class at the end of second cycle. She kept her composure and stayed focused throughout cycles 1& 2, as expected.

I asked Amanda to tell me how she feels about this now this was response: “If feels good personally because I can say I am the top student in my class.” She didn't say this in a boastful way, but she is very proud of her accomplishment. 
I asked her why does she think she's the top student. She confidently and yet humbly responded, “Because I am dedicated! I work hard, stay focused and do my own work.”
Amanda seemed nervous when we began our interview. Eventually, further along in the interview, she became more relaxed. Once I convinced her that I won't we got back on topic. I asked her if there were any sacrifices being made to make it to the top. Amanda immediately stated, “Sleep! I usually don’t come home from school until 9 or 9;30, I immediately want to eat, shower, then sleep but I have to do homework which keeps me up until 2 or 3 in the morning.” 

I couldn't help but wonder. Why do you guys give so much homework? Is this to students detriment if in fact you have to sacrifice sleep, something we need to be successful.

These last part of our interview focused on helping out other students. I asked Amanda if she could share any advice or tips for any other students who may be working towards this goal. Her advice is simple.

“Just do your work honestly. It isn’t that difficult, just study and stay focused.” 

All in all, some students ego trip about an accomplishment such as this and some students remain humble. I found Amber to be the latter. I'm glad I had this opportunity to talk with Amanda and I have some advice for her, continue stay focused -- you will do great things.



Comments