Alumni Spotlight: Baron Artist



SETTING STANDARDS

by, Devon Christopher Corry




Photo: Courtesy

Here at the Home of the Phoenix, our acronym is RISE. It stands for a specific set of traits that we want our students to embody both in and outside of just University High School. Not only is it expected that our students know these traits while they are enrolled here, but these traits are ones that should owned for a lifetime.

Responsibility. 
Integrity. 
Service. 
Excellence 

This is what the RISE acronym stands for. It is obvious that any who's graduated from here, obviously exhibit these four traits. Which brings me to the purpose of this article, I'm honored that I was given the opportunity to be able to have an interview with Baron Artist. I am happy to be able to say that I am able to interview a University alumni who does it all. 

 Mr Baron Artist is a photographer, graphic designer, music producer, vocalist, model, lyricist, poet or even the performance artist. Oh, and not to mention how he has been a life coach and Leadership trainer for the past 10 years. I think it would be safe to say that he has some advice for everyone here at his alma mater University High School and all other students who attend University High School. But hey, don’t take it from me... read for yourself.

Without further ado, I give you the exclusive interview of the one and only Baron Artist!

Do you experience writers' block? If so, how do you how do you fall out of it, and if no then how do you keep from getting there?

"Yes I've had writers block a few times. It depends on the time of my life, on how I deal with the block. One of my best friends who co-wrote "Chandelier" with Sia gave me the best advice. He said that I just had to, "Thug it Out!" (translation) I just have to write, even if it's terrible. He was making a point to keep working and that eventually you create something amazing. I've taken that advice into almost every situation in my life."

Can you explain the importance of having a team behind you when it comes to building your own brand?

"Every successful person you can imagine has become successful by having a team and requesting the support to be successful. I've tried the lone-ranger-do-it-by-myself-route and you can only get so far. In collaboration and team, you are able to grow and get new perspectives, share the responsibilities, and reach a wider platform. One is a lonely number, no one can make it alone."

Respectively, who are/is your inspiration(s) when it comes to performing songs, modeling, and writing creatively?

"My influences are so varied that it'll be difficult to pinpoint one. I'll say what I'm most inspired by is the human capacity to create their life. (the good and the bad) I'm inspired by raw talent, the subtleties in relationships, great poetry and lyrics, deep conversations about human possibility, beautiful people, great food, and traveling the world."

What advice do you wish that you were given before you entered the entertainment industry, that you feel would be necessary to know in order to make the best of that type of lifestyle?

"There are a few things:

1) Remember why you started. Because there will be times when you are hit with life and can lose your way. But if you remember what made you do it in the first place, you can always come back to that. And that can always be what propels you forward.

2) Pay yourself first. In art and industry, there are tendencies to give all of yourself out. Whether it's on stage or discussing your rate, make sure that you pay yourself first because you deserve it. As an artist or performer, your job is to create and experience, and you should be compensated financially and emotionally. So the payment can also come in the form of self-care. There's no reason, you have to be totally depleted.

3) Define your success. Many times we set goals based on other people's ideas of success when we should be defining it for ourselves. This will also support in not comparing yourself to other people. There is only one you and that's already a miracle. There is no need to compare and you get to set your own bar of success."

Usually I would ask alumni to tell me their most fondest moment at University. However, there are days where people struggle so bad to the point where they feel they won’t return. Was there ever a time you experienced this as a student? If so how did you cope?

"There was a moment, not at the school but when I was coming from school and waiting on the bus. I was bullied because I was gay. I didn't want to return because I felt embarrassed more than anything. I had a rather good time in high school up to that moment, and that moment hurt. What had me come back, was my friends and fellow classmates who came to my aid. We were tight even though we didn't always get along. It was special in the fact that I didn't think at the time that some people cared about me, but the support I felt had me come back. It was one of those moments that I fell in love with University and my class."

In what way did University plan you for the real world.

"University supported me in being a creator/artist tremendously. What I loved about that school is that it took chances with us. I remember teaching a class on the Black Holocaust, organizing the fashion and talent shows, singing in the choir, playing in the band, publishing poems in the Kaleidoscope, becoming the yearbook photographer, and supporting the pep rallies. University was the first place I experienced myself as accepted and an artist. With the support I had their, I took that confidence into my life outside of University."


Oh my goodness Baron! I knew it was going to be a great interview the moment I found out about you. Thank you for your honesty and candor. 

RESILIENCE is always key! Don’t stop when you are tired, but you stop when you are done! Thank you once again for taking time out your life, to be able to participate in this interview!





That’s your exclusive here at the Phoenix Flame! I am Devon Christopher Corry. See you soon!

Comments