Alumni Spotlight: Nijiah Jihad

Getting Fab With Nij
by De'Jane James-Dixon



Image may contain: 1 person, standing and outdoor



Recently I had the opportunity to speak with University High School alumna Nijiah Jihad. I found her story to be very interesting and inspiring. It is good to know that even when you have your job that pays the bills, you don't have to stop chasing the dream that fuels your heart. Ms. Jihad and I spoke about the journey she's been on since graduating from high school back in 1998.

After she graduated from University High School, she attended Rutgers University- Newark, NJ (BA 2002) the she earned her MA from Kean University in 2007) but she didn't stop there she went to Fairleigh Dickinson University where she earned a post Master's Certification. Currently she is enrolled in 2 online courses at Andrews University. It is clear that the learning never stops. And that is good to know as Ms. Jihad is a first grade teacher by occupation.  She says, "My job isn't as "easy" as people make it seem because as a First Grade Teacher, I am responsible for making sure each child leaves my classroom reading. For some students, reading is simple, but for my students who struggle, I have to come up with games and ideas to meet them at their current level but also provide resources to push them beyond that level."

Being a teacher is job that entails more than just standing in front of children. There are a lot of things that teachers do that us students never see. Ms Jihad says she, "keeps student growth logs, create weekly lesson plans, attend weekly staff meetings, meet with parents, attend extracurricular activities, maintain bulletin boards."

What personal attributes do you think are essential for success in your profession?

"The most important attribute is that to be an effective teacher, you have to want to do it. My students are my children and yes I am hard on them at times, but it is only because I want them to learn all they can and not just be average. I coach them but also encourage them to try harder with every lesson. You also have to be able to multi-task, be patient, dedicated, committed to being a lifelong learner, engaging and animated (especially for 1st graders!) There came a point though in my career, where I wanted to have a life outside of the classroom. I love my job but I knew that I needed to tap into other gifts and talents that laid dormant within me. So I stepped out on faith (and out of my comfort zone) and entered AND won my very 1st pageant, earning the title as Ms. Full Figured USA 2014. After the win and a successful reign, other doors began to open for me including launching my official website and blog (www.iamnijahj.com) where I discuss topics on self esteem, confidence, plus size fitness, relationships, singleness, inspiration and also fashion reviews. My work as a blogger has allowed me work with the brand Avenue Plus Size Clothing through social media promotion for the past 3 years, also being featured on campaigns and coupon mailers.  In addition, I am a published curvy model, landing several advertorials in international magazines, including Harper's Bazaar UK and Town and Country UK. I have also had the opportunity to walk in several fashion shows during Philly Fashion Week. Most recently, I was featured on a digital billboard for New Jersey Designer, Thomas Lavone.

Being a teacher is job that entails more than just standing in front of children. There are a lot of things that teachers do that us students never see. Ms Jihad says she, "keeps student growth logs, create weekly lesson plans, attend weekly staff meetings, meet with parents, attend extracurricular activities, maintain bulletin boards."

Even though the answer seems pretty obvious to me, I still asked, if sh UHS adequately prepared her for college and/or a career? Ms. Jihad had this to say, "Yes, UHS definitely prepared me for college and my career. I liked having to go to different classes for different subjects, which is how college is - you have different professors depending on the course you take. Career wise, UHS taught me how to multitask- go to school but also get involved in activities within the school. Also I admired my teachers, and knew without a doubt that I wanted to become a teacher just like the great ones I encountered at UHS."

What did you most look forward to doing at school?


"I just wanted to be at school and never mind the fact that I had to take 2 buses to get there, I loved UHS! I remember the time I got chicken pox and cried because I had to stay home. Again I loved school, besides all my friends were there so why would I want to stay home?"

I am less than two months away from being a University alumna. I have so many fond memories especially doing cheer, that I wanted to know what Ms. Jihad's fondest memory from her days here at University High School. She had this to say:

"There are so many fond memories from my days at University. I remember my very first day as a scared 7th grader with this oversized bookbag and ready to learn. I remember chorus with Mrs. Boxley, I loved being one of Mrs. White's thespians! I also remember Mr. Hankerson's 1 minute math tests and his jokes. I remember my friends and sharing many laughs and some tears. I remember University being a close knit community of teachers and learners."
If you had to do high school all over again, what would you do differently?

"I wouldn't do anything different. I had a great high school experience. On a personal note, I just wish I had more confidence and self esteem in myself back then."

I would be remiss if I don't ask Ms. Jihad to empart her advice would you give to current University students. She gracefully obliged and said the following: "My advice to current University students would be to take advantage of all the opportunities you have now. In college, you are on your own. Sure you will get some support, but for the most part you will have to be your own advocate. We also like to procrastinate, but do your best to get things done ahead of time. Purchase a planner, ask a ton of questions especially if you are serious about your life and career goals. Four years of high school seems like a long time, but the years will fly by so cherish the memories.

She said something in our interview that stood out to me that I feel is another piece of advice or words of wisdom. 

She even uses social media to promote her platform as a speaker, so you can find several inspiring videos on such as this one 



Ms. Jihad left us with these final thoughts, "Yes, my plate is full and my schedule can get hectic at times, but when you love what you do, it will never seem like work. Find your passion and pursue that thing with everything in you. It took me 20 years to really understand who I am as a young woman, and it has been a process - but seeing the fruit of my labor unfold, proves that the work has been truly worth the fight both in my professional and personal life." #thisisjustthebeginning

Comments

Post a Comment