Senior Athlete Spotlight: Tamara Johnson



Finishing On Top

by, Destanie Jefferson-Lee

Photo: Destanie Jefferson-Lee 

Playing sports with Tamara has been a great experience. I had the chance to play volleyball with her and take in her good vibes. Tamara is the definition of a model athlete. She has good sportsmanship, a positive attitude, along with a fierce work ethic and dedication. Recently, I caught up with her at the close of her basketball season to interview her for this senior spotlight we talk about her career as a female ball player.

What motivated you to start playing basketball?

“Me and my sister grew up the only girls out of all our cousins and we all liked basketball and always played against one another. Basketball is in my blood.”

What qualities make a good ball player?

"Qualities of a good player are if you have a good attitude, some skill, the heart of a winner, and the biggest of them all, you have to be coachable."

Do you feel you have those qualities?

"Yes, I have all of these qualities."

Do you think you’ll continue to play after high school?

"It could go both ways for me."

Have you ever felt like quitting?

"All the time, sometimes I'm just tired and aggravated and want a break, but I am not a quitter."

How has playing ball helped you?

"Basketball was my escape from reality. When I'm at practice or in a game nothing else in the world matter but working hard to win."

You're now state champ, how does it feel?

"I have two state championship under my belt and it feels amazing. A lot of people can't say that they have won a state championship more than once in their high school career, but I am one of the few that did."

You've played volleyball,  did that help you to be a better ball player?

"Volleyball helped me with my vertical and footwork."

How long have you been playing ball?

"I have been playing since I could walk."

What helped you become better?

"Working out in the summer. "

What will you miss the most about playing high school sports?

"I will miss everything about high school except the drama, but I will mostly miss all my teammates who I grew close with amoungst my years of high school."

What was the hardest loss in your career?

"The hardest loss was the game we played this year against Newark Tech in the Essex County Finals."

What was your most satisfying win?

"The best win was against Bound Brook because we were cheated out of the win last year and this time we blew them out to get the state championship... Revenge."

You have a sister who plays with you, are you passing down the torch?

"Of course, I want her to go even further than I did. And she's off to a great start. She was nominated for Freshman Athlete of the Year by NJ.com"

How is it playing with your sister Tara?

"It is aggravating playing with her because she swear she knows everything and won't listen to me even if she knows I'm right. She is in competition with me to show that she is better she will never be able to beat me."

Do you think you're ready to leave all of this behind?

"I wouldn't say I'm ready to leave it behind, but I am ready to start my life on my own and learn what life is really about."

What college are you looking into for basketball? D1?

"FDU and Florham Park. They're Division 3 schools."

Do you think that the Lady Phoenix is the most hated team?

"Of course, everybody was praying on our downfall but like a Phoenix should, we rose above it and ended up on top."


I’ve watched Tamara play ball all four year of her high school career and her senior year, she has accomplished a whole lot. Dear Tamara, I wish you the best of luck with college. Thank you or providing me with fun, positive energy and laughs on and off the court.

Comments