Teacher Spotlight: Mr. Trieu



The Truth About Mr. Trieu
By Nefertiti Cooper


New to the Phoenix family, physical education and health teacher, Mr. Trieu is more than just an educator. Mr. Trieu takes his job seriously in and outside of the gym. During class, I see a teacher who cares about our health and how we maintain our weight. Outside the classroom, Mr. Trieu is an athlete. Always in the gym, always participating in our sports, regardless of what Ms. Wilson may say. 

Recently, I had the pleasure of sitting down with Mr. Trieu and asking him a few questions. Many teachers joining the community have a hard time adapting to the urban children attending a school in Newark. Mr. Trieu on the other hand, is always seen with a smile, as if he loves his job.

What's your opinion on University considering this is your first year apart of the Phoenix Family?

"It did not take long for me to fall in love with UHS. As a new teacher coming in, you just hope you can adapt to the climate and culture as quickly as possible. I did not think the staff and students would be so welcoming so quickly and that has made the transition very easy. I’ve taught in schools with 2500+ students so it is easy to get lost in the shuffle. Here at UHS it really does feel like we are a family because I am able to interact with all staff and students whether they are in my class or not which you don’t really see at the bigger schools."

Mr. Trieu is one of my favorite teachers. I knew from the first day he would be a laid back and chill teacher. This was soon proven to me when I saw him engaging with us during gym, and finding fun assignments for our health class. I’m glad that Mr. Trieu finds comfort at his workplace and is welcomed by our Phoenix Fam.

The difference between my health teachers in the past and Mr. Trieu is how unpleasant their attitudes towards the subject were. Mr. Trieu is always positive. He makes coming to class something that I know I will enjoy. Although he is always positive, he takes his class serious. 
 His seriousness of the subject prompted me to ask:

What influenced you to become a gym teacher?

"My past teachers/coaches were my biggest influences growing up and I hope to one day have that same effect for my students/players. I also chose PE because that is the subject I can relate to the most because I love to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle."

What is your favorite sport?

"Basketball, basketball, and basketball. I will talk/play/beat anyone in the building in basketball."

Was your favorite subject in high school the subject that you teach now?

"Yes, PE was my favorite when I was in school and my teachers made class very enjoyable even for sports I didn’t like playing. If I couldn’t choose PE, I would pick Math."

As I said earlier, Mr. Trieu isn't just a teacher but a ball of energy. He often participates in gym as if he’s a student. Mr. Trieu is very competitive and is good in every sport we’ve played thus far. We can always rely on his athletic ability as his senior class team beats Ms. Wilson’s junior class.

Do you enjoy participating in gym class with your students?

"Absolutely. No matter what unit we are covering, you will always see me engaged in one way or another. My students might tell you I get too excited in class but deep down I think they love it."

Of course we love it! Years prior gym class was so strict and serious. Last year, Ms. Wilson was so stern about gym, changing, being on time, etc. that it took away from the enjoyment.

Out of all the grades/ classes you teach, who is the easiest?
"I wouldn’t describe any of the grades as easy to teach but I do like having senior classes. I feel I am at an age where I can still relate to them and I like to use that to motivate them to try new sports and lifestyle changes that will help them beyond UHS."

We often joke about Mr. Trieu’s age and say he’s 18 like the rest of us. He is definitely one of the most relatable teachers. As seniors, it is important we are educated on our health, especially considering we’re entering college where anything is possible. “Freshman 15” is a common phrase to describe the weight you gain in college from lack of healthy food options, and stress.

I asked Mr. Trieu on final question, given the fact that the seniors may not be required to take a gym class during college, what health-related advice can you give the class of 2018?

"There will be NO ONE in your life to tell you to stay active and it will get harder and harder to find motivation as you get older. Try to get into a habit of setting aside time to do something active (sports,walking, etc.) even if it is only for an hour a couple days a week. STOP. DRINKING. SODA."

Although Mr. Trieu has only been here a year, he has been a factor in making this year one of my most enjoyable years here at UHS. I will take his advice on staying fit to college, and trying new things so I come back to University and beat him in basketball. Thanks for all you do Mr. Trieu!



Comments

  1. Truie is a really cool guy. This article definitely is him lol. Welcome to the family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment