Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Jessica Garcia

by, Devon Christopher Corry

Photo: Courtesy
LA VIDA LOCA!

Newark Public Schools has several credit requirements in order to graduate from high school. And if you didn’t know, two years of a language is one of them. Some schools have several options such as Spanish, French, Mandarin,  or Greek. Here at University we have Spanish or French and believe it or not, those classes are just as important as your English class and Math classes. That is why, I feel it would be just disrespectful not to acknowledge the sophomore class Spanish teacher, Ms. Garcia.

Ms. Garcia has been a Spanish teacher here for almost three years now. She isn’t scared to let you know about her Peruvian background. Having her for almost two years now, I think it would be safe to say that it is about time that we get to know how Ms. Garcia’s life has been affected since she took her first steps into the Home of the Phoenix.

During our interview, I asked Ms. Garcia the following questions:
In your own words, explain the significance of being bilingual/multilingual in today's society.

"This country has never been more diverse than it is now. We also have the privilege of living in the most diverse area of our country. To be honest, I don't think much about being bilingual because it has always been a normal part of my life. When I stop to think about it, being bilingual has afforded me opportunities to communicate with a much larger range of people."

This is your third year back at the Home of the Phoenix. Have you learned any valuable lessons about teaching while working here at University?

"Well, this is my 7th year in the Newark Public School system. University has been a great experience so far. The kids are great and I really enjoy working with the team of teachers here."

The students obviously play a significant part in your life. What is it about the students here at University that keeps you coming back to teach?

"I enjoy the relationships I've been able to build with the students here at University. I totally understand how difficult it can be for someone to pick up a second language, but watching them grow into Spanish speakers is always fun and exciting."

What advice would you have for someone who is trying to pursue a career with a language-related degree?

"The biggest misconception is that you don't need a second language. Learning a second language, whether it be Spanish or French, can open up doors for you later on in life."

There are many other faculty members here at University who are also Latino. Do you believe you guys could possibly get together and do anything in the school that celebrates your heritage?

"Well, that all depends on how many students would be interested in something like that. I think Mr. Mendez has done a good job identifying how similar Latino heritage and African-American heritage are similar. In many ways, both of our communities share the story of the outsider and that bonds us together."

Not only did I enjoy interviewing Ms. GarcĂ­a, but it also feels amazing to sit in her class every single day. I am happy that you were able to provide your insight on the life of a Spanish teacher. I'm going to really miss having you next year. I hope this article gives future students an idea of the type of teacher they should expect. 

This has been another exclusive for the Phoenix Flame. See you later, or shall I say it in Spanish? 
Nos vemos luego todo el mundo!

Comments